What is a crank flashlight?
LightStorm Crank flashlights convert rotational energy into electrical energy by means of a dynamo generator. The electrical energy generated is stored in a Carbon Ultra-Capacitor. The energy in the capacitor is then used to power a variety of high brightness Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs).
Crank flashlights are not all the same. The LightStorm CL1 crank flashlight uses a Carbon Ultra-Capacitor to store energy - all other crank flashlights use non-replaceable rechargeable batteries and will quickly end up in a landfill when their batteries fail to work. The LightStorm CL1 crank flashlight also features a specially designed parabolic reflector that collects and projects the high intensity light from the Quasar LED into a piercing beam able to spot illuminate objects up to 80 feet away. Its capabilities don't stop there, the highly efficient CL1 dynamo flashlight can also flood illuminate a 12-ft (4m) area up to 20-ft (6m) away using 2 StarCore LEDs. LightStorm CL1 also has a built-in power jack and comes with a charging cable and Mini USB connector which is suitable for charging Motorola V3, V6, and Blackberry phones as well as MP3 and MP4 music players. Other cell phone connectors can be purchased separately.
· General utility work
· Backpacking and Hiking
· Home, Vehicle and Work Emergency Kits
· 2 light settings: Spot Light and Flood Light
· Built-in power jack for charging music players and cell phones
· Durable and water resistant construction
· ABS housing will hold up to diesel fuel and motor oil
· Quasar 1/2 watt (105,000 mcad) LED will Spot Illuminate a 9-ft (3m)
diameter area at a distance of 80-ft (26m).
· 2 StarCore® (15,000 mcad) LEDs will Flood Illuminate a 12-ft (4m) diameter
area at a distance of 20-ft (6m).
· Spot Light duration on a full charge: 15 minutes
· Flood Light duration on full charge: 20 minutes
· 2 minutes of cranking fully charges capacitor power cell
· Capacitor can be recharged over 100,000 times
· Storage temp: - 40F (- 40C) to 140F (60C)
· Operational temp: -50º F (-45º C) to +140º F (70º C)
· Length: 6 inches (15 cm)
· Width: 2 inches (5 cm)
· Height: 1.8 inches (4.4 cm)
· Weight: 7.4 ounce (207 grams)
· Color: Slate Gray Housing with Red Front Bezel
A detailed review of the Lightstorm CL1